Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Feathered Friends

Many birds are back and some new ones we haven't had at our feeders before. It seems that the goldfinches are back in larger numbers this year and they pack as many of themselves as can fit in our feeder. We are also getting hummingbirds again this spring (haven't snapped any pictures yet). My newest surprise was to have a Rose-breasted Grosbeak at our feeder - he seems to be staying as we see him around the yard off and on. Until now I have only seen this type of bird once maybe twice in all my birding days. So it is exciting. We also have had Brown Thrashers at our feeder which I would have never expected although they are not that uncommon to see around, I just didn't think they were the type to come to feeders commonly. They have the neatest bird call as they are related to mockingbirds and make all sorts of sounds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun to see the birds. Are the bluejays around yet?

Sara Mae said...

Yeah they were at the feeder early on. Not now. Suppose they have their times they come through the area. I don't hear them as much now either. So must be early spring and later fall. You guys timed it perfectly last year! Was fun that Andrew could see them so up close. :)