Thursday, May 01, 2008

Head Cheese - Eyes Not Included!


On April 12, Dean got together with his Uncle Ed, to help make some head cheese. Yes it is made from meat from a hogs head, but like I said before they don't uses the eyes or brains etc. Once they cooked up the meat, then they seasoned it and put it in casings then cooked it again in roasters. Chill and it's ready for a snack-some like to dunk it in vinegar and as Dean says, it makes a good sandwich with ketchup. I can't say I like it but I have tried it. I think it is one of those things you have to grow up with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMM-GOOD????? ???? I used to eat it all the time as a kid. Up until I helped my Grandma Carrie make it and saw her -well- do what you have to do to the head with the pig's eyes looking at you. Acquired taste for sure

Garden Girl said...

I always thought it was the brains!!! Thank you for the lesson. I hope it didn't make your tummy too upset being in your delicate condition. :)

Tanna